Spreading the roots for a more resilient CW farm community
The Hillcrest Farm Factory, located in Custer, WI, will facilitate the development of new, regenerative farms in Central Wisconsin. Our purpose is to provide guidance and support for those who are interested in starting their own organic agricultural journeys, as well as cultivate a community of emerging farmers through direct participation in our local food system.
WHAT WE’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Grow the number of farmers in Central WI by increasing access to land, resources, and community support.
- Shift the power and decision making in agriculture away from factory farms to a community that stewards the land.
- Create a greater diversity of local farms and services they offer.
- Change the perceptions about farmers and farming in our Central WI community.
- Help new farmers to be independent and interdependent.
ALLOTMENT PROGRAM BASICS
- Take your garden to the next level – maybe add a few chickens or a beehive, too!
- 1/8th acre plots are available for $200 per year.
- Access to shared tools, shared water, and shared knowledge.
INCUBATOR PROGRAM BASICS
- Get your farm dreams off the ground.
- $300 an acre per year – includes certain resources, guidance, and land.
- Receive guidance from a team of farm mentors to help you /access/ the resources you need to find success and grow your farm venture.
- Financial mentorship for Farm Service Agency related funds.
- Facilitated shared use of equipment and resources to share the burden of start up cooperatively.
- Grow on land with a community of friendly farmers!
Schlegel Garlic Farm
Greenbush Growing Cooperative
Alex C’s Bees & Berries
Bio Char Experimental Plot
Key to any successful venture is a community of neighbors who are there to lend a hand and share their experience. As part of our Farm Factory Incubator program, you will be paired with a Farm Mentor who will work with you to help you access the resources you need, provide feedback on your ideas, and get you plugged in to the Central Wisconsin agricultural community.